Seven Ways to Be Happier Today
BY Gary McClain
April 09 2014 4:20 AM ET
How are you doing today? Are you happy? Yes? No? If not, do know you have some control over your own feelings. Here are some great ideas to bring more happiness into your life:
1. Accept yourself. You don’t have to prove yourself to anyone else. And if you constantly compare yourself to others, you are sooner or later going to come up short. Instead, accept that each of us in our own individual path in life; we have strengths, weaknesses, joys, challenges. Let go of the woulda-coulda-shouldas and accept where you are at this moment in time. Ease up on the self-criticism.
2. Take care of yourself. The key to managing your HIV is staying on top of your self-care. Make it a priority to do everything possible to promote your own wellness. And remember that you if you aren’t taking the best possible care of yourself, you can’t be there for others. So what have you done for yourself today?
3. Get out of yourself. Giving has a way of giving back, starting with checking in on the people in your life and throwing a little love in their direction. Anybody who could use a call and some encouraging words today? After all, we are all in this together.
4. Enjoy the simple joys of the day. Getting up in the morning and going through your routine, talking to a friend, spending some time outside. The potential for moments of happiness is all around you.
5. Give other people a break. We’re all dealing with challenges. Sometimes that brings out the best in us, and sometimes not. Sometimes people are going to think like us, sometimes they aren’t. When you accept yourself for who you are, it is a whole lot easier to also accept others for who they are. (You might have to forgive a few of them along the way.) Remember: compassion is a boomerang.
6. Try smiling. Before your roll your eyes at this one and say, “yeah, right,” consider this: Research has shown that smiling helps to create positive emotions. Don’t wait to feel happy, smile and let your feeling catch up with you. And while you’re at it, find something to laugh about.
7, Decide to have a better day today. Do what you can to make it happen!