It turns out that Mom really did know best when it comes to avoiding the flu and colds. Medical experts offer the following time-honored tips to stay healthy throughout the winter season.
1. Get an annual flu shot.
2. Wash your hands frequently, and use liquid soap. Viruses and bacteria can be left on bar soap.
3. Avoid physical contact with someone who is sick.
4. Clean such surfaces as stair rails, countertops, telephones, computer keyboards, doorknobs, and children's toys with antibacterial cleanser.
5. Use disposable paper towels instead of hand towels and sponges that can harbor pathogens.
6. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
7. Do not share eating or drinking utensils.
8. Use disposable tissues to wipe or blow your nose, and throw them away after using just once.
9. Get enough sleep, drink plenty of fluids, and eat well-balanced meals to keep your immune system in top shape.
10. Stop smoking.