Want washboard abs, bulging biceps, and rock-hard thighs and calves? You'll need to do more than just work out, say researchers at the University of Arkansas. Add these five key foods to your diet to maximize your muscles, they recommend:
1) Fish, especially salmon, tuna, halibut, trout, and canned sardines. High in healthy omega-3 fats, these fish contain essential muscle-building amino acids.
2) Sweet potatoes. Rich in potassium and antioxidants, sweet potatoes help repair damaged muscle tissue and counteract the effects of acid-producing foods.
3) Low-fat yogurt. Yogurt is rich in protein, potassium, calcium, and vitamin D, all of which keep your muscles functioning properly.
4) Quinoa. This ancient South American grain is packed with 'good' carbohydrates, which provides energy to your muscles, and is a key source of protein, potassium, and iron.
5) Pumpkin seeds. Loaded with magnesium, manganese, iron, and copper, pumpkin seeds help build tissue to maximize muscle mass and extend muscle endurance.