Scroll To Top

Have You Been Displaced by Katrina?

Have You Been Displaced by Katrina?


If you've been displaced by Hurricane Katrina and need HIV care or support services, contact an area AIDS service organization, an HIV clinic, or the local health department, suggests Kathie Hiers of Birmingham-based AIDS Alabama. 'Let us do a quick intake, figure out what your needs are, and start working to get you where you need to go,' she says. For information on regional AIDS organizations, call the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's national AIDS hotline at (800) 342-2437 or go online to the Aegis site's listing of AIDS service groups at and click on the appropriate state from the list provided. In addition, the New Orleans AIDS Task Force is recommending that HIVers still in Louisiana can find assistance at any of the Louisiana State University system hospitals. Contact the AIDS service organization nearest to you to find one or contact the task force, which has been compiling the information and should have the names and phone numbers. You can also call the national AIDS hotline at (800) 342-2437, where you should be able to get the information. If you'd like to help support HIV-positive hurricane survivors, visit HIV Plus's 'How to Help Hurrican Victims' article to find a list of charitable agencies.

30 Years of Out100Out / Advocate Magazine - Jonathan Groff and Wayne Brady

From our Sponsors

Most Popular

Latest Stories

HIV Plus Editors